Sunday, April 6, 2008

Chomping At The Bit


I've been wanting to get in more outside running, in the worst way!! I was really hoping that this weekend was going to be the turning point. Well...that hasn't exactly worked out as planned. Yesterday (saturday) my wife went on a shopping excursion with her girlfriends, which left me home with the baby. Needless to say, if I had gone outside for a run, and left her home alone, not only would I have gotten in trouble with my wife, but I think the Department of Social Services would have come knocking. So Saturday was scratched for anything outside. I did still get in 1.25 miles of walking to keep me in the Team Voice challenge.


So today was the day!! Today I was heading outside to get in a nice 3.1 mile run/walk. Just as I was getting into my running attire the weather gods decided to send clouds, wind, mist, and a 10 degree drop in the temperature. I was still determined!! If Jeff can do some "Snowy Tundra" training, I can handle a little moisture and cold temps. I got through about 1/4 mile and started to feel a strain on top of my left ankle. Not anything excruciating, but enough to make me slow to a walk. At first I thought, "Run through it!" But, I decided to walk it off instead. Being early in the 30-days-of-mileage, I didn't want to jeopardize getting an injury. With no recovery days it is important to stay healthy. Also, as an inexperienced runner, I'm still learning what pains I can run through and what needs more attention.


When it was all said and done, I did half of what I had hoped to, and walked most of it. Right now my ankle feels fine, so I'm hoping it was just a stiffness issue. Later this week, I'm determined to get back outside. This time...better stretching before I start!!


I am glad to be able to say that I am still alive in the April Team Voice challenge, and by the looks of things, I'm not alone!! Great job Team Voice!!! Everyone is doing awesome!! A special shout-out to Rae who appears to be making a monster comeback while recovering from a difficult hand injury. And to Deb, who starred in this weeks AATM podcast...great job representing the All About the Mouseketeers and Team Voice!!


Keep up the good work everyone and lets make this week even better than last week!! Main Street Awaits!!

5 comments:

Rae! said...

Jogging baby stroller.
Thanks!!

Rae! said...

Do you want your Frame??

MikeF. said...

Good job Heath!

Jeff W said...

Good job. I have found that during cold weather it helps to nearly double my warm up time.

Keep moving Forward

DebWDW said...

Sounds like you made a good decision. I was very conservative when I ran/walked outside for the first time this week. And you are right -- we don't want any injuries!!