Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Reality Sinking In


It's seeming more and more likely that I will be traveling to WDW by myself for marathon weekend. Not to say that I'll be by myself when I get there...I have my fellow Team Voicers!! But none-the-less, I'll be leaving my family behind when I go. I'm interested to see what it will be like traveling alone. I am trying to approach it as an adventure, and I think it will be. The only "problem" I see is the accomodations I'm going to have to settle for. It appears that Scopa Towers (aka Pop Century) is going to be my home base for the five days I'm there. I don't mean to insult anyone who opts for value resorts, but I was really hoping to shoot for something in the Epcot area, which would mean Boardwalk, Yacht Club, or Beach Club. The issue is, I can't seem to convince my wife that a solo trip is worth that kind of expense. We are planning a large family trip sometime after the marathon, probably late August or November, and then we will likely stay at Boardwalk. But I'm impatient darn it!! With people like Deb talking up the Boardwalk and reading what others have to say about Yacht and Beach, it sure makes it hard to accept the idea of a value resort.


Oh well....I think I'm beginning to get a bit greedy. I should just be overwhelmed with excitement that I'm going to WDW....and I am...honestly. By the time the marathon rolls around, it will have been over two years since my last trip. That's the longest "dry spell" I've had in quite a few years. So really...I could stay in a sleeping bag, on a bench, next to a LEGO figure at Downtown Disney, and be happy just to be there.


So where's everyone else staying? Please, I don't mind a little salt in the wound. I'm curious to see what kind of experience everyone else is going to have.

6 comments:

Rae! said...

We are planning value resort. We don't stay in the room long enough to enjoy it. To much to do other than sit in a hotel room. If I want to sit in a room I would stay home.
I like the all stars better than Pop.
I would like to stay in one of the mod. resorts but I just can't make myself do it.

MikeF. said...

The only value I have stayed at is ASMovies. I do have to say that it had the BEST food court on property. It just has a huge selection. I do have to say that Rae is right about staying home, except if you stay at AKL. There is a lot to do there. The resort itself is an attraction all on it's own. Since my wife and I are DVC members we feel that the values are below us now.:)jk. I cannot make up my mind on where to stay for the marathon. At first I was thinking OKW or AKV, but know I am also thinking like BWV or BCV. So many choices so little time. Good luck.

Jeff W said...

Dude I'm staying at POP. 6th-13th I believe my family is coming down. We stayed at Movies during mousefest. Nice clean place except I would have liked queen beds. I was surprised to learn that even the moderates have doubles and not queens.

DebWDW said...

I'll be at Boardwalk, since we're DVC. But I bet there will be a ton of runners at Pop. And your family will be much less jealous about your solo trip if they know you're in a value saving money for their trip!

Chris said...

Posted a note on AATM site about this, but appears everyone is answering here! LOL I'm still trying to rent DVC points to stay at Boarwalk or Beach Club, but we'll see. If not, then I think we'll be at Shades (friend I'm traveling with is active military).

Oh, and C'mon Basil! Get on those Sit Ups! ;-)

Matt said...

We're staying at Pop as well.

I was originally supposed to be going down by myself, but now the entire family decided to go. Great! Went from 1 to 9 people. Oh well, at least now they're paying for it, so that's always a good thing!!