Thursday, April 17, 2008

Morning Person??


I've never been a morning person. I'm not one to jump up out of bed with excitement to start another day. Usually, it is a slow progression from complete grogginess, to semi-consciousness, to functioning. Each step is usually aided by Starbucks strongest blend. All that said, I've begun working out prior to work. And...believe it or not...I'm really enjoying it. There is something to be said for going through your day, knowing that your workout is already in the bag. I also feel like it jump starts my metabolism and calorie burning for the day.


I have to admit that I'm pretty lucky with my work situation. I have a very decent gym at work, complete with elliptical, treadmill, bicycle, free weights, and universal machine. In addition we have a locker room with shower. This means I don't have to travel to a gym, then head to work. Obviously, this saves quite a bit of time. As a result I don't really get up much earlier than if I wasn't working out in the morning. For me it's either get up at 5:oo and head in to work and get in a workout and shower, then be ready for work at 7:oo, or I get up at 5:oo, make breakfast, watch the news, dink around at home and then head into work for 7:oo. Either way, the alarm clock is ringing in my ears at 5:00 a.m.


Please don't misunderstand and think that I've become a morning person. My first thought in the morning is still, "are you kidding me? Is it really that time already?" And it's not easy to drag my butt into the gym that early, but just knowing by 6:30, that I'm done for the day, is a great feeling and really makes it worth it.


So how about you? Given any thought to early morning workouts? Is it feasible for you? Are you a step ahead of me and you've already been doing this for months?


On a side note...our fellow teammate Chris has joined the blogging ranks. Everyone should go over and say hello and welcome him to the blogging world (http://blognrightalong.blogspot.com/). He's been a great presence on the AATM forums and I'm sure he's gonna have a lot to contribute here as well. No pressure though!!!

4 comments:

Rae! said...

I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I have been getting up at 5a forever but I just can't seem to get up to head out to the gym that early. I like to go after work to work off the stress.

Chris said...

Morning? UGH!! LOL I feel your pain and give you ALL the credit in the world! I have tried it once and just couldn't get myself up to do it again. I'm a wimp where this is concerned.... However, you've inspired me to try it again! I may wait till the baby starts going down to bed at 8p with my daughter (he's currently going down at 10:30) so I can get more sleep, but we'll see.

The wife and I are alternating days on the treadmill (or outside now that it's nice) and I've been sneaking in a quick run late to meet the million miles for april challenge...morning might actually help me do this better.

thanks for the plug, I think... Wicked pressure now! LOL Gotta start to fill in the gaps on the site. Like I mentioned before, I admire you guys for the great sites you've put up!

[rich] said...

Mornings rock! I agree getting it out of the way really helps, and now that the mornings are getting lighter it's even easier to get out.

DebWDW said...

I'm not a morning person. But I can definitely see how it would be a great way to start the day.
I'm a night owl ... hence my 12:30 a.m. posting on a Sunday night!